A planning application has been lodged for a new high school in Cardiff.
If progressed, the new Fitzalan High School will represent a £63.5m investment and would involve the existing school replaced with a new-build school on land next to the Leckwith Stadium in the Canton area of the city.
It would be a ten-form entry, accommodating up to 1,500 students between the age of 11 and 16, plus a sixth form. The new school would offer sports facilities including a multi-use games area, 3G pitches and a new indoor swimming pool, replacing the current pool which is already used by local schools and community groups.
These, and other facilities at the school would be available for public use outside school hours.
This marks the next stage in development for the latest project to be brought forward under the Cardiff Council and Welsh Government £284m Band B 21st Century Schools Programme.
Cllr Sarah Merry, deputy leader of Cardiff Council, and cabinet member for education, employment and skills, said: “Schools investment is a priority and this is the next step to delivering a new Fitzalan High School which will not only provide pupils with access to state-of-the art facilities and the highest quality learning environment, but also provide the local community with opportunities to benefit from excellent, modern amenities.”
The planning application seeks full permission for the following:
- Relocation of the Air Dome onto land behind Leckwith Stadium ;
- New grass stitched football pitch Tier 2 standard, (with no floodlighting);
- New 3G rugby / football pitch;
- Relocation of throwing range;
- Erection of 2 storey changing room building (with 3 community classrooms at first floor and 1 on ground floor);
- Erection of a single storey changing room building;
- Pitch 5 (for use by cricket);
- Multi Use Games Area (MUGA) 16 and 17; and
- Provision of new car parking area and cycle stands for community parking.
Subject to planning and procurement, construction of the new school is expected to be completed in the 2022/2023 academic year.