PLANNING application for a new replacement special school in north Powys has been submitted by the county council.

Powys County Council wants to build a new £22m school for Ysgol Cedewain in Newtown.

As part of the proposed development, the new school building will have purpose-built and state-of-the-art facilities including a hydrotherapy pool, sensory and physiotherapy rooms and garden as well as a community café.

The new school will be funded by the Welsh Government’s 21st Century Schools Programme, which will fund 75 per cent of the project. The remaining 25 per cent would be funded by the council.

This project is part of the council’s Transformation Programme to deliver aspirations in Vision 2025 – the council’s Corporate Improvement Plan.

It will also help the council deliver its Strategy for Transforming Education in Powys 2020-2030.

The new school will be built by Denbighshire-based company Wynne Construction, who carried out a pre-application consultation in July and August to seek the views of residents in Newtown and Ysgol Cedewain’s school community.

Cllr Phyl Davies, Cabinet member for Education and Property, said: “I would like to thank all those who took the time to take part in the pre-application consultation and I’m delighted that we have now submitted our planning application for this exciting project.

“Our ambitious plans for Ysgol Cedewain will see us provide a world-class facility for our most vulnerable learners.

“When open, the new school will provide vulnerable learners with facilities that meet their needs while providing an environment where staff can thrive and learners enjoy learning.”

For more information about Transforming Education in Powys, visit

Source: Country Times


0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *